Sunday, May 10, 2015

A bit of a snag...

I have hit a bit of a snag and it is changing my plans for this blog a bit. While I don't feel I was violating any copywrite rules, the fact is Wizards of the Coast is sending out cease and desist letters to people who want to use any 5e material. this means that the stuff I had posted up could potentially recieve such a letter and I just want to avoid the problem before it happens. This does not mean I am giving up on this project. It just means that I have to move forward in a different manner.

Instead of using anything related to DnD this blog is instead going to focus on creating a new game that focuses more on character background and story telling than on rolling dice. I feel that there is a niche for this kind of game and given the fact that I intend to make sure it is easily compatible with other gaming systems it should still be of use to most gamers.


I hope that Wizards will soon come out with some kind of fan site policy like they did during second edition, or even better, offer a new open liscence of some kind. While I understand that they need to protect their intellectual property, I personally believe that the OGL and other open gaming style liscences have been a boon for the hobby in general. I also believe that one of the reasons 3.0 and 3.5 was such a success was because of the enthusiasm of the creative community. While sure, there was some real bad stuff put out during the time and a bit of a glut did happen, I think the hobby overall benefited from allowing people to add their own creative energies into the mix.


I hope those of you who have visited this blog continue to poke in from time to time. This is not a step backward, merely a step forward a bit faster than I intended to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment