Friday, May 6, 2011

Announcing the Gamers New Head Coach....(also a change in plans)

Okay, I know I was supposed to get this next blog up sooner than this and I honestly meant too. Unfortunately between life, life, and another dosing of life I found myself not posting. While this post is later than it should be I hope you all don't mind that I also have a new and improved idea. My last post I talked about doing an NFL style draft using fantasy characters. Well instead of doing a draft I have decided to build an entire football team including the coaches! Also instead of using characters from the entire fantasy genre to choose players, I will limit myself to only characters from the Dungeon and Dragons mega-verse.

Now, introducing the Head Coach of the newest NFL franchise the Gamers I introduce....

ASMODEUS!


About Asmodeus:


I first discovered Asmodeus shortly after I began playing D&D. I remember reading through the Monster Manual and coming across the Arch Devil. Even back then there was something intriguing about this guy. Not only did he look kewl, but the fact he ruled the nine hells made him a favorite of mine through every edition of the game. I have to admit that I was bummed with the fact that he didn't make the cut into the first Monstrous Manual (which happened with all the devils and demons in an attempt to "sanatize" D&D), and was even more miffed when I learned he wasn't originally included in the Nine Hells in Plane (the Planescape setting managed to be good enough I got over it). When he made his glorious reappearance in 3rd ed. I was tickled pink.

In my time as a player I have only encountered Asmodeus once. It ended very badly for the party (which given the pick pocket roll the thief made on him was probably a blessing). In my time as a Dungeon Master I have abused, overused, and overplayed him. I have had multiple parties kill him, used him as Deus Ex Machina on several occasions, and even had him travel with the party on one occasion. Needless to say I am one of his biggest fans.

The reason why I am selecting him as Head Coach of the Gamers franchise is because I want a true Machiavellian genius calling the shots. The Numero Uno Arch Devil has managed to balance on top of the mountain of power for an untold eternity while being actively plotted against by every know being of power in the universe! This means that not only is Asmodeus powerful, but he is also able to out maneuver every other head coach in the NFL. Bill Belichick move over there is a new genius in the league.

If you want to read up on the game version of Asmodeus, this was a pretty good article.

If you would like to learn more about Asmodeus in religious mythology this page on wikipedia is worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment